[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Naccel 2 -- post #3

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Monday, 11 January 2010, at 11:37 p.m.

In Response To: Naccel 2 -- post #3 (Lucky Jim)

Jim, I count your position 1 in exactly the same way as you.

Here are some cluster counting tips for shifting chequers, but they seem to apply to Naccel equally:

Shifting men of the same colour will cancel out if you shift:

• on opposite sides of the board in the same direction (left or right)
  • on the same side of the board in opposite directions

Odd blots and spares are very useful for cancelling out when moving other chequers to strategic counting points.

Note that since Naccel is a relative count method, it ought to be possible to shift chequers of opposing colours if you reverse these rules. I've never practiced this since Cluster Counting is an exact pipcount method, and it wouldn't work. I'll leave someone more experienced (hi Nack!) to comment on its suitability for Naccel.

If you can't cancel shifts out then you will end up with some stray pips as you shift men to the points where you'll count them:

• Shifting men homeward adds to the pipcount: these are moves you need to make with future dice rolls.
  • Shifting men backward subtracts from the pipcount: these are rolls you've already played.

For Position 2 I do:
    White

• shift 18 & 20 homeward 1 and one from the 22 back for a net +3 pips.
  • 6 each on the 22 and 21 are n-3 and n-2 respectively, for -5.
  • 3 on the six point (S0) are zero.
  • final count = -5(3). 6 * -5 + 90 + 3 = 63

Blue

• Shift both 23 men back to 24, and the spare on 5 forward 2 to the three point, cancelling each other out.
  • shift the spare now on the three point forward to the ace, and the two on the five point back to the six. These shifts again cancel.
  • 4 now on S3 = 12.
  • 6 clustered around the three point is n-3; running total 9.
  • the four men now on the six point are zero.
  • leaving a pip on the ace point. This represents either 5 pips back to S0 for a count of 9(-5), or forward 1 more to S-1 for a count of 10(-1). The latter is easier to convert to a traditional pipcount: 10 * 6 + 90 - 1 = 139

I found both White and especially Blue quite tricky to spot, and had Blue out by 6 pips for quite a while.

OTB, I'd have cluster counted very quickly, as follows:

White

• 7 on the 3, plus 7 around the 5, plus 7 for the man on the bar. 9 sevens = 63

Blue

• shift the men on 23 back to 24, cancelling with 5/3. 4 * 24 = 96
  • plus the spare now on the three point = 99
  • plus a 5-prime around the 4 point (40) = 139

• Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
    Your E-Mail Address:
    Subject:
    If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.