[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two deadlines for end-of-turn?

Posted By: Tom Keith
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 2010, at 2:31 a.m.

In Response To: Two deadlines for end-of-turn? (Rich Munitz)

Suppose A makes a play, goes to reach for the dice and suddenly realizes he missed a much better play and pulls his hand back just before touching the dice. B thinks A is going to pick up the dice and, perhaps seeing that A has missed a good play, rolls very quickly. A claims he did not touch the dice; B is sure he did.

Using your rule, Director has a difficult choice. If Director rules for A, then B's roll stands and A gets the benefit of playing to that roll, possibly a huge penalty for B. If Director rules for B, then A isn't allowed to make the play he wants, also a huge penalty because that play is much better. Any other solution (such as rolling to see which way the ruling goes) is going to seem quite unfair to one side or both.

Under my rule, Director can simply say, "Ok, since A reached for the dice, I'm going to rule he touched the dice. B's roll doesn't count." Neither player is going to feel bad about that decision. A gets to finish his turn and the game proceeds without fuss.

And B is less likely to roll that quickly under my rule.

(Also, note that your rule doesn't solve the present dilemma, because Blue had not made a legal play.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.