[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Alternate ABT formula I had proposed

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 2010, at 2:56 a.m.

In Response To: NY ABT Prize concerns (Bill Riles)

Actually, I should have posted in response to this post.

See: http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=58147

Bill's concept of fixed points for the tournament winner and halving as you move down from there is very similar to what I had proposed a year ago for the ABT.

I had done an analysis of points awarded by the current system and had developed a formula that produced point distributions similar in magnitude to what we now have. Any new formula system should not render historical points meaningless; a point earned in 2005 should mean about the same thing as a point earned in 2012.

As I recall, my formula was:

N = Number of Entrants

First Place receives: N/4 + 6

This adds a constant factor to boost the value of smaller events which diminishes in importance with larger events. This is what actually happens with the current system because smaller events pay fewer places and that causes first place to get a larger percentage of the point pool than it does in larger events.

The net is that with this formula a first place finish would get:

N=96 -> 30 ABT points

N=64 -> 22 ABT points

N=32 -> 14 ABT points

N=16 -> 10 ABT points

You can see that this pretty closely parallels what we have today. And as a bonus, ANYBODY can figure it out instantly.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.