[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Quantifying recube vig

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 2010, at 3:09 a.m.

In Response To: Quantifying recube vig (Timothy Chow)

One might be, "What is White's redoubling probability (i.e., the percentage of the time that White gets to redouble)?"

This is more or less a function of the leader's takepoint. Or your cube point, or both.

1. Does there already exist a way to approach the issue of recube vig that is better than what I'm pursuing here?

My general rule of thumb is: about halfway in between dead cube and fully live for evenish scores, about halfway in between fully live and autorecube for lopsided scores. Though obviously it depends in large part on the position.

I recently read one of Doug Zare's old Gammon Village articles on recube vig, which he defines as "cubeful equity minus cubeless equity." This quantity is (implicitly) reported by the current bots. However, it strikes me as a rather difficult quantity to train oneself to estimate, since so many different factors contribute to it. In contrast, my gut feeling is that cube efficiency (as defined by GNU) and redoubling probability are going to be easier to get a feel for.

I find this doubtful. I have never looked into cube efficiency % much but my feeling is that it is much more complicated than cubeful and cubeless equity.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.