[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Awarding of ABT points

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 2010, at 4:47 a.m.

In Response To: Awarding of ABT points (Joe Russell)

Howard used to run a fun event in Vegas where players had to qualify for the main event playoff by winning an 8 player knockout. If you lost the knockout you could pay a small fraction of the original entry fee and enter a second knockout, and then a third. Almost everyone that lost reentered a second or third time. When all was said and done, there were probably 250 total entries. Yet at the end of the event, 100 players had shown up to vie for the title and one of them had won. Each player was still competing against 99 others, with an average 1% chance to win at the outset no matter how many fees were ultimately paid.

I would have a problem with an event where equally skilled players had different chances to win at the outset. For example, if a player with a deep pocket were allowed to buy directly into the round of 8 of an ABT event, that would be unacceptable. But as long as each equally skilled player has the same chance of winning the event prior to the first drawsheet being posted, then the number of points awarded should be related to the initial population of players. Even if only some of the players can actually buy back in, everyone has the same opportunity, and if you happen to be the random lucky person to lose a gammon on an 8 cube, your prize is to get another chance to lose. Yes, it is unfortunate if personal finances do not allow a particular person who would like to reenter to do so. But that seems to me as a small blemish on an otherwise decent system. I don't think tournament formats should be banned for this reason alone.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.