[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Naccel 2 -- post #3

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 2010, at 11:18 p.m.

In Response To: Naccel 2 -- post #3 (Lucky Jim)

Jim,

When I was talking about adding and subtracting pips, I was thinking in terms of traditional pipcounts, which is what I'm used to. For Naccel, shifts on the inner board add or subtarct the other way, because you need to remember you are aiming toward the six (S0) point instead of the bear-off tray.

Here are the shifts I made for position 2.

gnubg63

2O2O7X2X3X2X1X ' ' ' ' '

'2O2O2O3O2O ' ' ' ' ' '

ian139

Position ID: /O0WAAC23QAANg Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

gnubg60

4O '6X6X '3X ' ' ' ' ' '

1O2O2O2O '4O ' ' ' ' ' '

ian139

Position ID: /H4OAABt8wAAPA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

The Naccel counts I used are

White

• shift 18 & all three on 20 homeward (forward) 1, and one from the 22 back for a net +3 pips.
  • 6 each on the 22 and 21 are n-3 and n-2 respectively, for -5.
  • 3 on the six point (S0) are zero.
  • final count = -5(3). 6 * -5 + 90 + 3 = 63

Blue

• Shift both 23 men back to 24, and the spare on 5 forward 2 to the three point, cancelling each other out.
  • shift the spare now on the three point forward to the ace, and the two on the five point back to the six. These shifts again cancel.
  • 4 now on S3 = 12.
  • 6 clustered around the three point is n-3; running total 9.
  • the four men now on the six point are zero.
  • leaving a pip on the ace point. This represents either 5 pips back to S0 for a count of 9(-5), or forward 1 more to S-1 for a count of 8(1). The latter is easier to convert to a traditional pipcount: 8 * 6 + 90 + 1 = 139

Good catch on the error in the last bullet. As I said, I struggled with both of these, and got the Blue wrong several times; it was a good thing I knew the answer and could work toward it.

I hope this makes it clearer.

• Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
    Your E-Mail Address:
    Subject:
    If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.