[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Limited Buybacks

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Wednesday, 13 January 2010, at 3:14 p.m.

In Response To: Limited Buybacks (Dan Pelton)

"Should a tournament with a limited amount of buybacks available sell them on a first available basis? Or should all the players given the opportunity to purchase they buyback and the spots drawn by lot with refunds given to those who did not get a spot?"

If time truly does not matter, then maybe. But time may matter as players could be forced to play well into or even entirely miss the dinner break if the loser of the last match to finish is one of the buyback lottery winners.

In my opinion, the matches that finish first will tend to be a somewhat random process anyway. I have no problem with the idea that matches that are not being played on clocks or players that play unusually slowly MIGHT have a reduced chance of being able to buy back if they lose.

As a compromise, I would have no problem if there was a designated starting time for the buyback round that may not allow sufficient time for all first matches to complete. If more people have lost and requested buy-backs that time, then a random draw is done for buy-backs. Otherwise, buy-back matches are drawn from those available and all remaining spots are sold on a first-come space-available basis. Those players that missed the cut-off will then be understanding and have to accept not having a chance to buy back or having to make the choice of whether to buy back if it means being forced to play through the dinner break. But those who finished on time do not get penalized by the slow play of others.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.