[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Basic squads explained with proper diagrams

Posted By: Matt Ryder
Date: Thursday, 14 January 2010, at 6:11 a.m.

In Response To: Basic squads explained with proper diagrams (Nack Ballard)

The diagrams look perfect, Nack. Well done!

I'm gratified to see these modifications used in an actual pedagogical context. And they really do greatly assist in getting the Naccel message across. Your discussion of pairs and triplets would've been much harder to follow without the visual cues to the Naccel 14 and 15 points.

Please remember to consider rehosting the naccel pip numbering images somewhere permanent as I cannot guarantee my public dropbox folder will be available indefinitely.

I was initially a tad sceptical, but I'm now thoroughly convinced that Naccel 2.0 is the way forward for my pip counting. It seems to bring together all the disparate strands from other methods I've looked at. The aggregate is a set of wonderfully simple concepts utilising the geometry of the board itself. All in all, it's a remarkable evolution of the existing pip-counting techniques. One giant skate for mankind!

Okay enough superlatives: now it's time for me to roll up my sleeves and get to grips with the system :-)

The difference between White's 11(5) and Blue's 9(3) is 2(2). That's how far Blue is ahead in the race after playing his double 5s.

Your technique seems to involve a senary (base-6) numbering system. If you haven't already fully explored the mathematics of base-6 (a natural for backgammon), here are some interesting web materials:

Converting from base 6 to 10 and back
Shack's base 6 dialectic
Decimal to senary conversion

Apparently, the Ndom language of Papua New Guinea has a senary numbering system. I wonder if Papua New Guineans are therefore natural backgammon players? :-)

Matt R.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.