[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

DMP 33 roll

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Monday, 18 January 2010, at 5:58 p.m.

In Response To: DMP 33 roll (Chuck Bower)

There are various plays that leave a direct shot, and although we have the stronger board, it doesn't seem right to give White the chance to hit the direct shot and scurry home while we're on the bar. So the first two 3's are 13/7. Now the main question is whether to step up the back checkers with 20/17(2), or kill a checker with 7/1 (or 7/4 5/2).

Hanging back is the natural play, seemingly maximizing contact. If White rolls small or rolls 55 (11 rolls) then we get a direct shot. If White hops past but uses both dice to do so, then we can probably break anchor and cover the outfield on our next turn. What are the disadvantages? Obviously, we're burying a checker. Also, if White rolls a 6 (11 rolls) then White is the one with the first opportunity to break anchor safely and cover the outfield.

Playing 20/17(2) 13/7 looks like it reduces the pressure on White, but note that White must leave a direct shot after 66, 65, and 64 as well as after 11 and 22 (7 rolls). Even if White doesn't leave a shot, almost everything plays comfortably for Blue (note that Blue has saved a 6). By not burying a checker, Blue also minimizes his race deficit.

At first I was inclined to stay back, but after the above analysis, I think I will play 20/17(2) 13/7. That's also what I would play for money.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.