[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two concrete examples of using "View Statistics"

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Wednesday, 20 January 2010, at 2:12 a.m.

In Response To: Two concrete examples of using "View Statistics" (Timothy Chow)

I don't know about other people, but I feel that this calculation improves my understanding of the position.

The math is kind of fun but could you figure this out OTB? I don't think I am that good.

In each case I rolled the game out 15552 times; this might seem a lot, but GNU currently doesn't seem to provide variance-reduced statistics so we have to compensate by increasing the number of trials.

You can turn off variance reduction and it will roll out much faster.

("Cube efficiency" here means the percentage of White's subsequent redoubles that Blue takes.) That already gives us some quantitative feeling for the difference in recube vig.

As mentioned this is not what I think of when I think of cube efficiency or recube vig.

If others agree with me that these statistics are useful, then perhaps we can collectively lobby the bot programmers to provide better support for this feature. Currently, in GNU, the statistics have an unpleasant tendency to vanish permanently as soon as you click the wrong button (and they are not savable to the SGF file), and they are not variance-reduced.

I don't like the fact that they disappear in GNU as soon as you close the rollout window and are not supported at all in other bots. I would rather the statistics (but not the games themselves) be saved to SGF data, and extendable, and so on. I don't know how much programming work that would entail. Variance reduction is not a priority for me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.