[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opinions of Chicago Open Format & Entrance Fee

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 21 January 2010, at 6:59 p.m.

In Response To: Opinions of Chicago Open Format & Entrance Fee (David)

David, if you lose and have to rebuy, come see me. I will pay your rebuy and take a piece of your action.

Why? 1. Because you are clearly one of the better open players; 2. Because the rebuy is cheap when you consider what you could win (risk/reward)

So yes, you probably do end up investing more, but as you pointed out, the payoff is bigger too.

(As a side note, one thing I have advocated for a years is paying more places. The First and Second place and 1st consolation winners wouldn't miss getting a little less if we were to make sure that all semifinalists at least got their entry fee back. Paying more places would encourage more people to play and to rebuy and more people would walk away happy. I also think giving ABT points to more places would accomplish the same thing. There is no handicap system in Backgammon, yet players who play at 8.0 have to put up the same money as the 3.0 WC players...the payouts, over time, are tremendously weighted toward the top players. Let's at least give the lower-skilled players a reasonable chance to break even.)

At a tournament last year, I think it was Peoria, John Jennings lost in the first round and wasn't going to rebuy. I talked him into letting me pay his rebuy for half his action, and he came in second in the tournament.

John thanked me for pushing him to rebuy and kicked himself for not doing it himself.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.