[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Two concrete examples of using "View Statistics"

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Sunday, 24 January 2010, at 5:07 p.m.

In Response To: Two concrete examples of using "View Statistics" (Timothy Chow)

I think you may be onto something by looking at the actual statistics for games played to completion. You've gotten me doing it but so far I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Regarding the term "cube efficiency", I believe that has been more commonly defined as follows. (BTW, this is basically what UBK was saying in a response to you a couple weeks back on this same subject.)

A) calculate the takepoint assuming the player who takes the cube promises to NEVER use it under any circumstance. ("Worthless cube ownership equity")

B) calculate the takepoint assuming the player accepting it will either lose the game or arrive EXACTLY at his opponent's drop/take line (and then turn the cube). ("Pefect cube ownership equity")

C) Find the true takepoint (e.g. with a rollout). Cube efficiency is fraction of the way between the worthless cube takpoint and the perfect cube takepoint that the true takepoint actually lies.

In your first problem, using 16.6% as the true takepoint, I calculate a cube efficiency of 68%, which is close to the canonical 70% many people use.

I prefer the term "cube leverage" for what you call "cube efficiency" in Problem 1. But maybe there is a better (or more common) term for it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.