[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Learning Naccel - Problem 1

Posted By: Matt Ryder
Date: Sunday, 24 January 2010, at 9:06 p.m.

In Response To: Learning Naccel - Problem 1 (Petter Bengtsson)

You can only add extra checkers to the S0 point. You added your extra checker to the S-1 point which is equivalent to adding it to S0 and shifting it backwards 6 pips. There's your missing 6 pips.

While I'd clarify that I added my extra checker to n-5 (not S-1), I do understand your point. I think I simply forgot that checkers on the trad 1 point equate to -5 in Naccel, not to 1.

In cluster counting terms, that five-prime (with extra checker) is simply 42 less 1. I therefore assumed this structure would equate to -4(5). I also assumed that adding a "phantom" checker would simply decrease the count to a round -5.

I think my first assumption was mistaken. In fact the five-prime (with extra checker) equates to -4(1). When subtracted from +11(1) [the back checkers], the result is 7 -- which is correct.

While I see their purpose intellectually, I must admit I find the negative numbers in Naccel don't sit well with me on an intuitive level. But I guess I just need to deprogram my brain of its old-school cluster-counting baggage.

Matt.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.