[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The flexibility of nactation

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 28 January 2010, at 10:46 a.m.

In Response To: The flexibility of nactation (Timothy Chow)

I'm glad to hear you're on board with 41S (and such) when it comes to the issue of naming files.

In general I'm a supporter of free expression of Nactation (assuming a choice of character isn't demonstrably worse than another in indicating which play was made). OTOH, whatever you may have believed before, if you now feel that 41S and 41Z are roughly equal choices for 13/9 24/23, I'm not sure why you don't choose to conform to the letters to which other people have become accustomed, even if all non-conformance does is cause a little balk or stutter step by the interpreter.

That said, I'm not interested in making you feel defensive (or rehashing an old debate), so please feel free to continue with 41Z if you prefer it. I'm just happy to see the Nactation sequences being presented -- because it's fun to see how a position is arrived at, I like to name files with a sequence when possible, etc. I can rename the files to my own taste anyway. My thanks to you and anyone else for providing these sequences.

I'm in agreement with you about selecting characters according to context. One example of this is 42P-32S. If I am (or might be) comparing that position to 31P-32Z and/or 64P-32Z, I'll use 42P-32Z.

Another example is the 62Z-21 vs 61Z-21 question raised by Petter (you referred to "21$-62Z" and "21$-61Z," but I'm guessing you didn't quite remember it right) that I responded to here. Note that I didn't change 61Z-21 to 61S-21 in addressing Petter's opening strategy question. This wasn't just out of politeness; it was because I preferred seeing "61Z-21" as the Nactation when it is being compared to 62Z-21.

For me, it's simply a matter of priorities. In isolation, I use S for both regular splits and reverse-splits-that-are-only-splits for reasons you've heard more times than you probably care to. But I do switch to Z when a special context makes it friendlier.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.