[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Very nice, but just a tad conservative for raw pip counts

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Thursday, 4 February 2010, at 12:16 a.m.

In Response To: Very nice, but just a tad conservative for raw pip counts (Ian Shaw)

And finally - before Nack uses the term "Zare/Weaver/Shaw" once more - please note that I take no credit for devising these doubling rules.

Both Zare and Weaver have given the same formula for races. Quoting Zare, "In a long race (50-120 pips), you can double with a lead of 10%-2 pips, redouble with a lead of 10%-1 pip, and take with a deficit of 10%+2 pips." (The Effective Pip Count, GammonVillage, April 2003)

All I did was feed this into a spreadsheet to compare with Trice's table. Then I re-stated the takepoint rule, stipulating the rounding procedure so that it most closely matched the table. I re-worded the rule as "Point of last take is 10% of leaders pip count, rounded down, +2." This is very slightly different from Trice's own 10%, round up, add 1. My wording matches the table in a couple of cases where Trice is 1 out.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.