[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Very nice, but just a tad conservative for raw pip counts

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 4 February 2010, at 5:52 a.m.

In Response To: Very nice, but just a tad conservative for raw pip counts (Rich Munitz)

It seems to me that practically speaking one might simply add a pip to both raw pip-counts before applying the "gold-standard" formula. Such an adjustment would correct the small errors Neil pointed out. Of course who knows what else it would break.

Right, but you don't have to go out of your way to add the pip. Just slightly alter the N57 rule to: subtract 32 instead of 33, and apply the rest of the formula exactly the same way (double, find square root).

We need rollouts at the following scores: 61-69, 69-78, 78-88, 88-99, 99-111, 110-123, and 122-136. It seems to me it would also be desirable to have them at the highest settings (practically) possible, and do them on more than one bot (or is that overkill?). So far, Neil has rolled out 61-69 and 99-111 on XG 3-ply/4ply.

However, even if those all prove to be bare takes, we still need to ponder the question: Do we want extreme minimal wastage (15-checker) positions to be the standard, or do we want median low-wastage positions (which Walter might have intended) to be the standard? (See Ian's post and mine in response to Neil). I don't have any real opinion on that; I'm just framing the question.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.