[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Very nice, but just a tad conservative for raw pip counts

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 4 February 2010, at 4:07 p.m.

In Response To: Very nice, but just a tad conservative for raw pip counts (David Rockwell)

David Rockwell wrote:

None of this is really worth the time and effort (which won't stop me from working on it).

That's the spirit! :-)

I believe that using minimal wastage positions would allow the most consistent adjustment for practical wastage when evaluating an actual position.

What you say makes sense to me.

As long as we're talking about pushing the theoretical limits, though, let me point out a couple of subtleties. My guess is that the minimal wastage position for, say, 69 pips is to have something like one checker each on the 24-point, the 23-point, and the 22-point. This may not be the most useful reference position in practice. It might be better to pick some easy-to-remember reference position, and then adjust from there.

The other subtlety is that strictly speaking, considering a position unilaterally (i.e., without regard to the opponent's position, or how often the cube is going to come back at us) will not give us quite the right answer. This is probably not going to matter much, though. I think it will be very rare for two non-contact race positions A and B that have the same exact epc values on both sides to have different cube actions, unless the epc is small (less than 40, say).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.