[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

124 vs 138 pips..subtracting 32 is good

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Thursday, 4 February 2010, at 5:46 p.m.

In Response To: 124 vs 138 pips..subtracting 32 is good (neilkaz)

This testing may be conclusive. Or, it may not. For it to have general applicability the wastage for both players must be identical. I can't tell whether or not this is true just from looking. And, even if that is the case, it may be more appropriate to adjust both pip counts upwards on the existing N57 / gold standard table for wastage rather than adjusting the general formula.

For example, the position below is NOT a minimal wastage position. It is going to play longer than the Gold Standard would indicate. And, to properly use the Gold Standard and N57, one must adjust the length of the race. I don't know how much adjustment is needed, but I would guess approximately 3 pips. If any of the positions being rolled out have similar extra wastage, the results would not necessarily indicate a problem with N57 or the Gold Standard. It might indicate a problem with wastage evaluation. We will never know that for sure unless we know what the ideal position is for a given pip count. If we are going to try to be extremely precise, we must be careful that we understand the causes of observed variances.

The score (after 0 games) is: GNU_bg 0, user 0

Move number 3: user on roll, cube decision?

GNU_bg57

2X2X2X3X3X3X ' ' ' ' ' '

2O2O2O3O3O3O ' ' ' ' ' '

user57

Position ID: 2+4OAADb7g4AAA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

• user doubles

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.