[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

123 vs 137 with mid pt contact

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 4 February 2010, at 8:41 p.m.

In Response To: 123 vs 137 with mid pt contact (neilkaz)

I think for purposes of establishing minimal wastage positions, it is better to avoid positions like the one you rolled out in this post. The problem is that if one or both sides roll combinations of big numbers, there will some sort of wastage, as the midpoint and 8pt checkers are poorly placed to handle big numbers. I'm not sure whether that favors the leader or the trailer (offsetting arguments), but anyway it conflicts with the goal of minimal wastage.

The contact from mutual midpoints might add in some small way to the problem. It seems to me it should hurt the leader (who will suffer from loss of option to play only one checker off the mid sooner) more than the trailer, though your subsequent rollouts don't clearly show that, so maybe it's just that the whole contact concept is even smaller than I'm imagining.

Btw, I hope you won't start skimping on the number of trials. This one didn't even quite make 5k.

In any case, we shouldn't ignore whatever midpoint vs midpoint data we accumulate (accidental or otherwise). It will give us a clue how much to adjust normally arising midpoint races from the contrived minimal-wastage rollouts being done at higher leader counts.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.