[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opening moves/replies/etc...

Posted By: Marty Storer
Date: Tuesday, 29 May 2007, at 3:09 p.m.

In Response To: Opening moves/replies/etc... (Stick)

Re 43S 41DH, that's a good tactic for a clearly weaker opponent to try. It often simplifies things.

What else? Around let's see, 1996? Dean Muench doubled me at -3 to -3 after he opened 31: 5(2) and I replied 52: 8 22. He was quite a strong player. I don't know what his thoughts were, whether he disdained the move or was in a hurry to get the match over or was playing psychological games. I didn't ask.

Of course the opening is important, but not the only part of the game in town. I'm not surprised it's not better understood even at this late date.

My favorite opening reply was against opening 62 of Bill Tallmadge and me in a doubles tournament. This was probably 2000. No names, and neither opponent goes in a two-person field (although one of them may have done at some time in the past), but both are strong enough and experienced enough to know better. We opened 24/18 13/11 and they played 22: 13/7* 13/11, first game of the match 8-).

I've got other surprising examples in my archives somewhere. Maybe I'll trot some of them out if I locate them.

Finally: How good is handicapping of Calcutta fields by organizers? Sometimes O.K., sometimes a little less than O.K., if you know what I mean.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.