[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opening moves/replies/etc...

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Tuesday, 29 May 2007, at 4:21 p.m.

In Response To: Opening moves/replies/etc... (Marty Storer)

Dean Muench doubled me at -3 to -3 after he opened 31: 5(2) and I replied 52: 8 22. He was quite a strong player. I don't know what his thoughts were, whether he disdained the move or was in a hurry to get the match over or was playing psychological games.

Around that time (probably a couple years later) at the Midwest Champs my first round LC opponent was Muench. He told me "I'm going to forfeit -- the match is yours" and I replied "thanks, but I was looking forward to competing against a player of your caliber". His reply "well, if we play the match for $100..." I declined and he sneered. Clearly he was forfeiting so he could spend his time in more lucrative $-games, chouettes.

Finally: How good is handicapping of Calcutta fields by organizers?

IMO, depends upon who's doing the handicapping. I've seen what I consider some very even fields. OTOH, when there are non-uniform lots there is the standard excuse: "of course we did that on purpose, to generate early bidding action..." Kinda like poker, where you always have an excuse based upon your 'read' of the fallible opponent.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.