[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Naccel Practice Position

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Wednesday, 17 February 2010, at 5:07 p.m.

Here's a position (yesterday's position-of-the-day at Phil Simborg's site) that I found tricky to Naccel count. By contrast, the cluster count was straightforward.

White148

' '2X ' '4X1X2X1X ' '2O

1X ' ' '2O5O2X3O3O ' '2X

Blue117

Position ID: jNfCYCCwzx0GAA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

White0

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '2O

' ' ' '2O5O3O ' '3O ' '

Blue117

Position ID: AAAAYN9xDAAAAA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

White148

' '2X ' '4X2X2X ' ' ' '

1X ' ' ' '2X ' ' ' ' '2X

Blue0

Position ID: AAAAGG+DgUEAAA Match ID: MAEAAAAAAAAA

The original position is on the left. I've illustrated my shifts for cluster counting on the right.

Blue's Cluster Count
30 for the six point stack
10 for the five point pair
30 for the stack shifted onto the 10 point
40 for the pairs on the midpoint+barpoint
+7 for the left over on the barpoint
Total 117 (it's easy to keep a running count on your head when it's all in 10s.)

White's Cluster Count
50 for the 24+midpoint combination 50 for opposing pairs on both six-points (leaving two over on White's six point) 30 for the block on the 7 & 8 points leaving +12 and +6 for the four remaining inner-board chequers. Total 148

And the calculation of a 31 pip lead for Blue is easier than Naccel, because you haven't got two pairs of numbers.

There will always be positions which naturally favour one method of counting over another, especially when you are used to the key formations. Perhaps this is one of those. So, we move on to the main point of this post.

Below is the original position twice more, Naccel-numbered for each side. It took me far longer to find the count this way. You may fare better. Have at it, Naccelers!

White

' '2X ' '4X1X2X1X ' '2O

1X ' ' '2O5O2X3O3O ' '2X

Blue

White

' '2X ' '4X1X2X1X ' '2O

1X ' ' '2O5O2X3O3O ' '2X

Blue

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.