[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Minimal EPCs?

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Thursday, 31 May 2007, at 1:00 a.m.

In Response To: Minimal EPCs? (Bryce)

I'm pretty confident that 5/off 3/2 is better than 6/off. And likely not by much.

Kit wrote an article or an OLM response or something on this. Actually it's available for free here: http://www.bkgm.com/articles/GOL/Mar03/racer.htm. This stuck with me:

Back in the 70's before we had our huge computer data bases available, I tried writing a simple program for bearoffs. I wasn't aiming for perfection -- I just wanted something decent for simulation purposes. The simple logic my program followed was: 1) Take a checker off with a single die if possible 2) Else take a checker off with the combination of the dice 3) Else, playing the smaller die first, move from the point where there is the greatest difference between the number of men on the original point and the number of men on the destination point, with ties being broken in favor of the farthest out point.

Of course my program made mistakes. For example, in the previous position with the 3-2 to play my program would have blindly taken the checker off. Still, it probably played the bearoff better than 90% of the players at that time.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.