[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why X here, but H best after 54S?

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Saturday, 3 April 2010, at 1:20 a.m.

In Response To: Why X here, but H best after 54S? *NM* (neilkaz)

I haven't looked at the numbers closely, so if anyone would like to correct me or add to my comments, go for it.

I believe that the contact between the bar point and the 10 point after 43S-61X is double edged. Either player can gain from it. However, after 54S-61X, the contact between the stack of four on the eight point and the blot on the defensive bar favors the opener. Responder isn't attacking anything. The blot on the bar just helps opener to develop the stack on the eight. In general, it is often wrong to split to the bar versus four on the eight in the first few moves of the game. (e.g. 51S-63 is best played R versus 41S-63 when S is best by a small amount despite the additional attacking checker on the nine.) I think the offensive potential of 43S vs 54S makes a difference too although I am not able to articulate why very well.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.