[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Did the full-team consultation format work well?

Posted By: Perry Gartner
Date: Tuesday, 6 April 2010, at 11:02 p.m.

In Response To: Did the full-team consultation format work well? (Timothy Chow)

I do think that certain key aspects of the work in backgammon can be effectively distributed among a group of players.

One or two players could be responsible for match equities. Before each game they could give the team doubling windows, and price of g's at 1 and 2. When considering a 2 cube they could chime in with 4 cube data and so on. Keeping track of pip counts and immediate updates whenever someone asked for it could save time, game winning chances attributable to racing in contact positions- the Kleinman count, gammon counts, shots, and tactical choices that have several options are all tasks that could be computed more quickly if the were divided among several players.

Another complexity particularly true with a large group of "equal" players is what confidence level is represented by each player's answer. If some players prefer play A to play B but think it is close, whereas others feel strongly about A over B, in a poll of players if each play would get the same number of votes, there can be a process that sorts this out more equitably.

Before the tournament I emailed Stick and Matt these ideas but apparently it fell on deaf ears. I can understand where it might be a lot less fun to divy up the work, and see organizational and personality issues that might be difficult to overcome. i hope to eventually learn why I didn't get a thanks, no thanks, from either one of them.

Perry

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.