[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A comment about the takepoint formula

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 15 April 2010, at 3:07 p.m.

In Response To: A comment about the takepoint formula (Matt Cohn-Geier)

It's certainly true that estimating three different numbers rates to be harder than estimating one number.

The drawback with just estimating how often you get an efficient recube is that it may not be enough information for a correct take decision. The frequency of an efficient recube is really a kind of average of the three numbers I'm talking about. Most of the time it will be O.K. to use that average, but in tricky positions it may be necessary to estimate each component separately. This seems to be a candidate for one of those tricky positions.

Anyway, it seems we understand each other on a theoretical level now. The more interesting question, which I think remains mysterious at this point, is why the World has so much recube vig in this position. I may try playing out the position a bunch of times with GNU to generate some actual recubes to see what they look like.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.