[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Excessive criticism?

Posted By: Chase
Date: Thursday, 15 April 2010, at 5:12 p.m.

In Response To: Excessive criticism? (Matt Cohn-Geier)

Thanks, Matt. I know this topic has been beat to death, but I really appreciate you taking the time to walk through all the numbers. I don't have much experience with long matches (and therefore redoubles at lopsided scores) and I'm trying to get a handle on how to approach them. In particular, the calculation (or estimation) of live cube take points is something I don't quite understand. I've been using what you called "perfect cube" take points, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing as a live cube TP or even a reliable substitute. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this in a way I can understand it.

As far as recube vig goes, I know this varies with the score and position type and can be hard to estimate. I've read in a couple of places that 70% between the dead and live cube TPs is about "average," so that's what I use. In this case, this rule of thumb would give 18-19, 17, and 16 using your numbers, G11, and R-K, respectively. If the actual TP is 17%, this gets us pretty close, though I don't know if this is reliable or just an accident of this particular position.

Tough stuff! Thanks again for taking the time.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.