[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The Opening Bell Curve

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Monday, 4 June 2007, at 6:38 p.m.

In Response To: The Opening Bell Curve (Bob Koca)

Yeah, the whole idea -- usual tournament match play is unfair because (a) the opening rolls are divided unevenly and (b) tournament participants don't all play the same number of games, and therefore we need a new "fair" scoring system which would (c) be based on the number of checkers one gets off and (d) would obliterate the usual match score cube decisions and (e) take an extra long time to score up -- is silly, excuse me. That's why I didn't bother provide a decent link to the site or to the gammonlife forum comment.

But I was sorta hoping somebody with a little programming or software know-how would like to generate the distribution curve(s) of opening roll equities for X number of money games -- for 1 money game this is easy! I think that would show that for a reasonable number of games the net equity for either player from the opening roll isn't likely to be terribly unfair. Match play wouldn't be the same, though, as a money session -- 3-1 being worth more at DMP than at 0-0-/25, etc.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.