[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A comment about the takepoint formula

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 17 April 2010, at 7:30 a.m.

In Response To: A comment about the takepoint formula (Timothy Chow)

In the classic position where each player has 1 checker on his 6 point, it is precisely because every redouble will be taken that it is a take. So in this case, I can clearly see the need to understand that aspect and not just whether or not it is an efficient recube. But once you start adding a bunch of other checkers and contact and stuff, to make an intelligent estimate of which recubes that will be taken and recubes that will be dropped seems like a daunting, time-consuming exercise that isn't likely to be very accurate over the board anyway. So it seems to me that just knowing, as MCG says, how often you have an efficient recube is all you need to look at. I wonder how many times you see a position where the difference between the two will really change the cube decision even if you could calculate the difference over the board?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.