[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Best 6?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Monday, 26 April 2010, at 9:16 p.m.

In Response To: Best 6? (Chase)

It seems clear that being ahead in the race, the 6 should be either 24/18 (the "connecting" play) or 22/16 (the "running" play). The factors I would consider in this kind of decision are:

1. Is there a prime to leap? Then favor the harder leap. This doesn't apply here because there is no prime.

2. How many double-hitting numbers are there and how bad are they? Usually the connecting play leaves more double hits, and that's true here for 24/18. However, Black has a shortage of material for attacking, so the double hits aren't as bad as they might be. In fact in many cases Black might not double hit even if it's possible.

3. How many single-hitting numbers are there and how bad are they? The connecting play is usually better if only the front checker gets hit because it gives more return shots. The running play is usually better if only the back checker gets hit because we can often enter and safety the front checker all in one turn, whereas this may not be possible with the connecting play. Here the connecting play isn't bad in that regard because from the bar point, a direct 5 safeties.

4. Will an anchor be valuable or will we want to run off it anyway as soon as we make it? The connecting play is better for anchoring while the running play is better for getting the checkers home safely one at a time. Here we are far enough ahead in the race that we probably won't sit on the anchor all that long; however, if we do anchor then it will have some value because we'd like to have some peace and quiet to build our prime or hit a Black checker that tries to escape.

It's not that easy a choice here. If the roll were 6-5 rather than 6-3 then I would play bar/14, but here the running play isn't that much safer because it still leaves a double shot, and as I said the connecting play isn't in that much danger of double hits. I think I would still prefer the running play but it's not clear to me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.