[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Firing squad quiz

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Monday, 10 May 2010, at 12:42 p.m.

In Response To: Firing squad quiz (Timothy Chow)

1. 13/5 is the only safe play that appeals, and I don't like it because it reduces flexibility and leaves us with TMP. I find it hard to choose between 24/18 24/22 and 24/16. If we succeed in making the 18 or 22 in the melee, we'll probably soon want to break it, so I think I've reluctantly talked myself into 24/16.
  2. Now we trail in the race and White has a more fearsome board. It looks wrong to ask for a battering, so I'll keep the anchor and (with slotting 13/7 looking too risky) play b/24 11/5.
  3. If we play b/18 then White can hit with any roll, but slotting 8/5 also gives White a good 24 shots. Making the five would be a boon, though, since it's going to be hard to come home safely with such a brittle position. I'll try b/21 8/5.
  4. I like 13/7 22/18. Making a three-prime is an improvement, as would be upgrading our anchor or escaping one chequer. White's aces are duplicated and she must cede the midpoint to hit with sixes.
  5. Here we are behind in the race, unlike the previous position, so there is less incentive to run. I prefer to stack back and simply swing round the corner with b/21 14/11.
  6. A 7*, yay! Oh. I'm not sure what I gain by running to the outfield, but someone once said that spares on the six are good, right? 13/6.
  7. This time I think we must unload that heavy stack, and b/18 at least duplicates the 2s White wants to attack the edge of our prime. Plus we might get return shots to send back a third chequer.
  8. The race is close, and b/18 simply gives White the chance to batter us around with 14 chequers against one. If I can make my own bar point I'll have a real position. Leave the back man deep and play b/18 13/7.

A tough set of problems. Nice one, Tim.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.