[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Has anyone ever thought of ...

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Thursday, 12 July 2007, at 8:30 p.m.

In Response To: Has anyone ever thought of ... (Stick)

Suggestion: You might look at Robertie's 501 to see how that book's chapters classify problems. For your own filenaming conventions you could create abbreviations based on Robertie's classification or a version of it. The topic of filenaming/classifying schemes has come up somewhere (in r.g.bg?), and I recall that somebodies have said that they had a good one, but I don't recall anyone ever saying what it was. Anyway, I think that while openings and bearoffs, for example, can be given names that precisely define the resulting positions, for middle games and such the important thing is the concept illustrated; the exact position doesn't matter so much.

Comment: MYA! (mind your acronyms) -- not so much in naming files (whatever makes sense to you is fine) but in prose. For example, your post here took me longer to read than it should have, because I had to figure out that by "AtS" you meant "at the score," and that by "d, g, s (dmp, gg, gs)" you meant that you were suggesting d, g and s as filenaming shorthand for DMP, GG and GS. For another example, I don't care for your "62S" and 62$" convention in forum discussions because I don't want to (or won't, or can't ;)) remember whether the $ sign stands for Split or Slot. If the topic of discussion is openings, of the following three notations, the first two impart information to me most efficiently:

31: 8/5 6/5 ... 62: 24/18 13/11

31: 5 5 ... 62: 18 11

31P ... 62S [or is it 62$ ?]

In GOL (Gammonline) AHP (Acronyms Have Proliferated), such as POH (Pass Ohio), TMP (for Too Many Points -- it also means Total Match Points) and others, sometimes usefully (like GS, GG) but sometimes as a joke, an in-joke. Let's not go acronymically overboard lest only in-siders be the ones ITK.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.