[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Back to XG feeding my ego

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Monday, 8 November 2010, at 12:52 a.m.

On October 5, 2010, I posted that XG fed my ego by rating me better than Snowie. At that time, XG gave me a performance rating of 6.1 of my last 100 matches (5 to 9 point matches). Snowie consistently rated me at 6.1 in 100 matches.

The best response was from Timothy Chow.

"A rule of thumb that I have heard is that you can take your Snowie rating and multiply it by 1.1 to get your approximate XG rating.

You say that your online ER has been consistently 6.1 as measured by Snowie, and now XG measures your online PR as 6.1. According to the above rule of thumb, an XG PR of 6.1 is slightly better than a Snowie ER of 6.1. However, before getting too excited, let me ask this question: If you take those very same 100 games that you analyzed with XG and analyze them with Snowie, does Snowie still say 6.1? Or does it say something closer to 5.5?

If you feed exactly the same set of games to XG and to Snowie and consistently find that PR = ER, contrary to the rule of thumb, then that would suggest to me that there is indeed something about your style of play that is unusual."

Well with a new set of 110 matches, XG rated me as 6.0 and Snowie rated me as 6.3. Obviously, an XG 6.0 is significantly better than a Snowie 6.3. XG has a higher opinion of me than Snowie.

This second set of data is consistent with my previously stated theory:

"XG rates me higher because I was always playing better than Snowie would credit me. It was common for Snowie to misjudge a move as a blunder when it was not even an error. I frequently had to rollout Snowie analysis of which I did not agree. About 20% to 30% of the time, rollouts revealed that Snowie gave my move an error rating much higher than its actual equity loss. Perhaps, my higher Snowie error rate is a function of misevaluations by Snowie 3 ply. It is very rare that XG 3 ply makes a serious misevaluation of my moves."

The purpose of this post is to suggest that one of the best improvements of XG is that XG 3 ply more accurately measures your playing ability. XG is much less likely to yell at you when you have not made a blunder. This dramatically improves your backgammon education. When you are trying to understand your blunder, which really is not a blunder; this hampers your backgammon education. Snowie acted like a wife by bitching at me when I did nothing wrong. Note: Just in case my darling wife of 23 years sees this, I state for the record that my wife rarely complains without reason. :-)

A surprise from my earlier post on this matter is that other players did not report the same phenomenon. There are many previous Snowie users who now use XG. Am I the only player that XG performance rating is better than the Snowie error rate?

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.