[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My Monte Carlo (long)

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 17 July 2007, at 11:06 a.m.

In Response To: My Monte Carlo (long) (Achim)

Appreciate the recap. This year was the first year I seriously considered going to MC and after some light investigation it didn't sound like my cup of tea leaves. ***In the week leading up to the last Harry Potter book you will suck down as many references as I decide to dish out or be banished like your average boggart!

The problems I saw before going, and that you've reiterated to a point, are 'tournament and scheduling'. We need clocks in this game. I have never even played with a clock and know I prefer it 110% to non timed matches. With clocked matches tournaments would be able to keep on a rather strict schedule and avoid people getting burned out because one day they play one or two matches, the next they're forced into 5 or 6.

Next on the list is $$$. Does anyone have positive equity in this piece of shit? I don't think I'd back Snowie or GNU in this tourney if they had to pay for a room in fuckin' Monte Carlo! If I was going I was staying in Nice, for 15 Euros/night. You heard me, 15E, not 300-400/night, 15. One - Five. Take a train in every day (very very cheap and under an hour's time easily). This is part of what makes it not the World Championship of backgammon but the 'how many rich fucks are there that also play backgammon' Championship in my mind. You won't see your average player, who might also be a strong player, paying to hop a flight to France, stay in a hotel that should offer hooker service for the prices they charge, and spend enough money on dining to buy a small island off the coast of Dakar. Let's also be serious, if the tournament were as prestigious as it ought be you wouldn't get there the day of the tourney or the day before and jump in, you'd go at least 5 days early and kick your jet lag to the curb. You may even want to get there earlier to get over any 'culture shock' and get accustomed to the environment.

Make the matches all 25 point matches (clocked!). If you want to carry the title of 'world champion' man up, cut out some of the luck so a player playing with an ER of 6.0 or higher doesn't weed his way through constantly beating someone playing a 4.0.

I say keep all the poker books out of there and every tournament for that matter. I realize that those who play backgammon are likely to play poker but when I get my one weekend a month to play backgammon the last thing I want are all the poker schleps trying to have a "$50 buy in NL hold 'em tourney". GIMPS! In Michigan there were people playing Gin & Hearts for money. Which is fine ... to each his own, but if you're going to play Gin for money play it like a man. These little girls arranged their cards in order, left the discard pile scattered so if you didn't remember what had been played you could basically glance at the pile. Playing for money ... really? I made it a point not to watch the Hearts game, I thought internally it would hurt too much. [after one of the participants told me he'd never heard of the jack of diamonds variation and also that standard Hearts, which I prefer and they were playing, is pretty monotonous/easy]

Why wouldn't you have a public draw?

It sounds like you played well Achim, if you'd like to share your matches send them over, I promise not to post your 2nd & 3rd move decisions ;)

Lost my train of thought ... probably should be done ranting anyway, it's only 7am

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.