[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What backgammon needs desperately...

Posted By: Michael Boughton
Date: Tuesday, 17 July 2007, at 7:35 p.m.

In Response To: What backgammon needs desperately... (Chuck Bower)

I always figured that Stick was close to my age what with all of the drinking and swearing didn't realize that we were actually the same age.

I've been playing for 10 years now (at clubs in san diego and sacramento (and once or twice san francisco) and very occasional bigger tournaments (Vegas, LA) and I don't know that I've ever played anyone who was within 10 years (probably 15) of my age.

It needs to start with local clubs getting younger players used to tournament/chouette play. When I picked up the game in college there were at least 8 of us who played (and drank) more or less every night.I was the only one who branched out to the local club games (and only because my father, who had played for years, agreed to back me. I was poor in college) and of that group I'm the only one who has continued to play. I think that if the others had been lured out to the club they may have continued to play and been much more likely to attend the bigger tournaments.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.