[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Error/illegal move in MC Final

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 18 July 2007, at 12:31 p.m.

In Response To: Error/illegal move in MC Final (neilkaz)

My assessment of the situation fairly well coincides with Neil's.

I watched the match live in the viewing room at Monte Carlo. There is absolutely no doubt that Savio recognized the original roll as a 6-3 and that the spares on his five prime did not hit the blot on the leading edge of the prime. He made several plays with the 6-3 to study, including moving the one spare behind the blot. Then he moved the dice to the center of the board and they became a 5-3. He studied more positions and then moved hitting the blot on the leading edge with a 5. He picked up his dice, the umpire never moved, and Pan rolled on. The viewing room went ballistic with raucous booing and cries of cheating. Falafel, the live commentator was incredulous. As the game/match finished the room was hugely behind Pan -- booing Savio and cheering Pan on every move.

I guess Savio's claim that the umpire told him to play the 5-3 as shown is plausible -- there was no sound accompanying the video. However, I think Savio should have owned up to the 6-3 or suggested a review of the video as had happened with a dispute at the end of the semi-final match with Richard Munitz. It was incumbent on Pan to pay attention as well, but I think the vast majority of the spectators revelled in Pan's win and felt Savio got his due.

Bill

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.