[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What backgammon needs desperately...

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Wednesday, 18 July 2007, at 2:47 p.m.

In Response To: What backgammon needs desperately... (Geoff Arnold)

I find that ABT events I have been at to be very much a very closed and egotistical community. Half the time I say "Hello" to other players at ABT events they do not so much as utter anything. It reminds me of being in a country club and everyone has a membership but you and there is a constant reminder that you do not quite belong.

Sorry to hear that you've been shunned. I wish you had looked me up (I meant to do the same) at Novi. I always try and welcome everyone but particularly those who participate on the forums (here and GU). I think several here will back me up on that.

Trying to remember what it was like when I returned to BG in 1992. Very few friends from my earlier days remained. It helped to know the Meeses (whom I had must met in Dallas at the 1992 World Cup); they were consistently very friendly. In general I didn't feel overly welcomed but I also didn't feel shunned. I guess having grown up in the bridge community, I was already accustomed to being an outsider until I had "paid my dues". I also remember getting singled out from the heard by someone who thought he saw an easy mark. He turned out to be right. We played two games and I lost 8 points. That was enough. Also, I think I lost my first 7 or 8 matches over three tournaments! But that may have been a blessing in disguise. It just made me more determined, once I finished licking my wounds.

I see you don't have much time, but if you get a chance to play in another Midwest event soon, please let us know here (again) and we'll welcome you. Stick, Mary, Neil,... just to name a few. There is certainly a threshold to cross but I think it's worth the intial pain. I've found that (unfortunately) it seems to be up to the new player to make the first move. But I don't find that any different than any other group activity I've ever been involved except where everyone was in the same boat (like first grade, and I'm sure that was painful -- just too long ago to remember :).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.