[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What's the best way to get to Madison?

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Wednesday, 18 July 2007, at 7:27 p.m.

In Response To: What's the best way to get to Madison? (garyo)

I really, really want this tournament to succeed+grow so don't take my statements as discouraging... Others should chime in because I'm not the only one who has driven up to the tourney. (I'm going this year, too.)

A lot of Chicago-ites drive to Wisconsin for the weekends. As a result, the three times I've played at Madison the traffic on I-90 leaving Madison on Sunday afternoon has been quite bad -- one year there was a wreck which made it horrible. BTW, I only stay on I-90 until just into Illinois (Rockford) and then go I-39 straight South. So I'm only on I-90 for about 40% as much as someone who is driving all the way to O'Hare. This year it's Labor Day Weekend so Monday afternoon is probably going to be particularly painful on I-90.

There are alternate routes on US highways. Those aren't crowded but you obviously slow down through towns, etc. (Lately I actually take US-14 which roughly parallels I-90. But I've never driven all the way to O'Hare on it since I cut South after about 40 miles on it.)

The bottom line is that flying into either of the big Chicago airports is probably going to be cheaper but if you do you need to plan on EXTRA driving time on Monday.

I-94 goes directly from Madison to Milwaukee, and it's a short drive (< hour on a good day; I don't know how it will be on Labor Day). I suspect the airfare from a big airport (AIH = Houston?) to Milwaukee might cost more than to Chi but it might be worth it. For those who don't have to work on Tuesday, staying over and flying out midday from Chi might be a more relaxing option, too.

Keep in mind that I live in a city of 75k so for those of you used to big city congestion (Chicago, LA, DC, etc.), my story sounds worse than you will experience.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.