[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"defending blinds"

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 19 July 2007, at 5:07 p.m.

In Response To: Original Chip Donk (DC-Ohio)

It seems to me that this is a bad concept if taken literally. As is well known from Poker 101 (so obviously you know it), once the money is in the pot it is no longer yours.

IMO, a better way to express this is to say that you are getting better than normal odds, since when you call/raise you get credit for the money you've already tossed into the pot. I'm guessing this is what you really mean, but please elaborate if I'm wrong.

The basis of play (IMO) is getting the right odds (including "implied odds"). On top of that you add all the psychology (bluffs, etc.). I would think there is some threshold (in general) hand that is required before you call a raise. Apparently 85d is above your threshold. Playing with a weak hand (not getting the right odds), from my PoV, is workable if you can make up for the equity loss in other ways, whether outpsyching opp or simply outplaying him/her (with better reading, etc.)

I can see opps taking advantage if you never call/raise from the blinds unless you have a rock. Along the same lines I can also see opponents taking advantage if you always call/raise from the blinds.

By calling without looking at your cards, you are giving opp one hard piece of info: s/he's playing against a random hand. I don't see the advantage of this compared to at least peaking (even if YOU know you are going to play the hand, regardless). Could you explain?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.