[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"defending blinds"

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Thursday, 19 July 2007, at 5:28 p.m.

In Response To: "defending blinds" (Chuck Bower)

As is well known from Poker 101 (so obviously you know it), once the money is in the pot it is no longer yours.

IMO, a better way to express this is to say that you are getting better than normal odds, since when you call/raise you get credit for the money you've already tossed into the pot. I'm guessing this is what you really mean, but please elaborate if I'm wrong.

This is part of, but not the entire concept of defending blinds. The idea is that you make up more equity later by fending off future raises from your opponent. Also you have better odds than usual because the button could be playing any two cards in this position. A raise from UTG usually means a hand like JJ or something, but a raise from an aggressive player on the button after everyone's folded to him could be 27o (hoping to take down the pot immediately or on the flop, or otherwise flop some monster).

By calling without looking at your cards, you are giving opp one hard piece of info: s/he's playing against a random hand. I don't see the advantage of this compared to at least peaking (even if YOU know you are going to play the hand, regardless). Could you explain?

This can have psychological benefits. Your opponent will often make suboptimal decisions if you make moves "in the dark" (without looking at your hand, or acting on the next street before a card has been turned). Personally, I'm not a fan of checking or betting in the dark. I imagine it would work against me a lot more often than for me, and it's just not my style. If I were down to just a chip or two a tournament or something, I might throw it in regardless.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.