[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"defending blinds"

Posted By: DC-Ohio
Date: Thursday, 19 July 2007, at 5:44 p.m.

In Response To: "defending blinds" (Chuck Bower)

"By calling without looking at your cards, you are giving opp one hard piece of info: s/he's playing against a random hand. I don't see the advantage of this compared to at least peaking (even if YOU know you are going to play the hand, regardless). Could you explain?"

If I call/reraise without looking, I don't make it known that I'm doing so... I will appear to look at my cards, or just already have them "capped" and make it seem that I know I'm going to play the hand. If you ever find yourself in a cheap home tournament/cash game, try to play a few hands in the dark... you get a feel of what it is like to truly play the player, not play the cards. Sometimes it just doesn't matter what two cards you hold. If your opponent is scared of a flush draw, and the flush card hits (even if you don't have it), RAISE!!!

When I defend my blind, I've noticed aggressive players start to tone down their aggression against me. Less raises, less continuation bets, etc. It allows me to take some free draws, or get some information from an aggressive player that you wouldn't otherwise get.

One major MAJOR point is that stacks have to be deep enough to make a blind defense profitable. If I'm playing a junk hand (suited connectors/1-gappers/Ace-rags), I'm trying to double up or stack my opponent. If my opponent isn't going to pay me off if he flops TPTK or has an overpair, the play won't work.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.