[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

One Stick is enough

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 7 January 2011, at 6:42 p.m.

In Response To: OLM Fr 01/07/11 (Casper van der Tak)

(And I considered saying "too many". :)

After posting I saw your response (I NEVER look at other responses before writing my own). Besides the three extra blots, the issue seems to be whether we would rather be hit on XG's side of the board our ours. As I wrote, I would rather be hit on our side because I don't want the builders in place for his homeboard.

To answer your question, I don't know if we have a take in either case if it goes hit+fan. (I did consider the cube when I made my choice, and came to the same conclusion.)

There has for at least 40 years been a 'discussion' as to which is more important -- cube cube handling or good checker play. In reality (and the mathematicians in particular get annoyed by such), you can get any answer you want depending upon assumptions, etc. However, there is one (seldom mentioned) advantage for improving your cube knowledge -- it can make your checkerplay decisions easier. Maybe the flipside is true at some level, but IMO, in tournament play, anything you can do to take away excruciating decisions (checker-play or cube) will help you win the tournament. Putting yourself through the ringer too often in a weekend must have deleterious effects.

So, bottom line is I like your approach, but unfortunately in my case it didn't help (this time).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.