[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

non-backgammon backgammon books

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Friday, 7 January 2011, at 9:19 p.m.

In Response To: non-backgammon backgammon books (Chuck Bower)

Chuck recommended "Thinking Body, Dancing Mind" to me a while ago and it is at the top of my list. I read one chapter of this book right before one of my ABT wins and it was absoulte magic in helping me to keep the kind of concentration needed to prevail in Backgammon matches which are full of ups and downs. I recommend non-sequential reading.

Chris has already mentioned "The Art of Learning". This book is written by the now grown boy who was the subject of the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". I did not find this book to be uniformly helpful. But, I found various portions of it to be VERY helpful with insights and techniques that I have not heard elsewhere. So, I would also recommend it.

The first sports psychology book I bought for the purposes of improving at Backgammon was "In Pursuit of Excellence".

http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Excellence-4th-Terry-Orlick/dp/0736067574/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294433062&sr=1-1

This is an excellent book as well. I recommend it to anyone who is unlikely to find harmony in the Eastern flavor of Thinking Body, Dancing Mind.

It is my opinion that most players would improve more by working on their psychology and physical conditioning than by learning more about Backgammon. I include myself in this category.

I don't imagine that many players on this forum will find use in this last recommendation, but I will make it anyway. "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go" drives home the point that learning the fundamentals of the game is what it is all about. I developed my plan to learn Backgammon based on the thesis of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Fundamentals-Beginner-Elementary-Books/dp/4906574289/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294434218&sr=1-1

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.