[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

poker book recommendations (+/-) -- OT

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 10 January 2011, at 6:14 p.m.

In Response To: poker book recommendations (+/-) -- OT (Chuck Bower)

I think I reviewed Gus' Every Hand Revealed on the forums but a quick search didn't turn up any results. Perhaps someone else will find it, but in short I recommended noting its biggest drawback was excessive punctuation! Really good poker book though and it's nice you can watch all the hands on the internet too.

I'm wondering what books they recommend, and also which ones they recommend against reading.

Are you talking poker books in general or are you looking for a certain type of game?

It's tough for me to tell you which ones not to read. I don't remember, I read them and if the information wasn't any good I just ignored it and moved on. It's not like backgammon where I have to remember the specific book because there are so few to read.

I remember liking Sit 'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman (a 2+2 book) was good.

One book I recall going 'wow, that was a disappointment' was Chan's Million Dollar Hold'em Limit Cash Games book.

Doyle Inc. Super System and Super System 2 make for decent reads esp. if you're just wetting your feet in poker. They also cover a wider variety of games than most books.

There are other books that are more history or story books that I enjoy, like Doyle's autobiography The Godfather of Poker. This book spans just how far poker has come. There's no real poker involved in this book but great stories about the characters that were/are poker. Also sums up why Doyle is such a respected player/person. His actions are those of what I consider a true professional, a true gambler.

If there are any books specifically you're wondering about drop the names as I've likely read them. My poker books outnumber my bg books easily by a 2-1 ratio. I've said it before but 2+2 generally publishes good material.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.