[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

two more (one requested by Rory) from GB@PHI

Posted By: Gregg Cattanach
Date: Tuesday, 11 January 2011, at 10:29 p.m.

In Response To: two more (one requested by Rory) from GB@PHI (Chuck Bower)

"4) Take the "sure" field goal to get within "one score" (i.e. a TD, plus a 2-point conversion plus a win in overtime -- that's "one score" to the NFL brain trust)."

Agreed about the 'one score' or 'one possession' thing that ALWAYS gets trotted out. When you are 8 points behind you have NO idea whether you need one more possession or not to tie the game.

Thus you should always go for 2 immediately if you trail by 15 and score a touchdown. You need to know what you REALLY need to tie/win.

There was a similar mistake in the college national championship, but I forget the details.

If coaches would just realize that if it's 4th and goal inside the 5 (or the 10, I'm told) that going for the touchdown is almost always right (assuming you leave the opponent stuck deep, i.e. it's not the end of the half), we'd be a long way towards getting these otherwise intelligent men from making this horrible blunder over and over again.

By the way, you can make big bucks betting that Troy Aikman will recommend the field goal EVERY time it's wrong.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.