[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

2011 New York Metropolitan Open

Posted By: Troy Longman
Date: Tuesday, 11 January 2011, at 11:32 p.m.

Lynn and I would like to thank everyone who attended the 2011 New York Metropolitan Open. The 53 Championship, 45 Intermediate, 21 Beginners, and 4 Juniors, made it our most attended tournament.

Thank you to our staff of Ina Donath , Julia Sommer, and Jenna Longman. Despite their lack of experience, amongst the periodic moments of chaos, the expansive wall of draw sheets, and the occasional “Difficult” player, they all maintained their composure like seasoned pros. KUDOS!!

At every tournament there are always players (whether it be their personality or actions) who do or say something that refreshes the Directors, helping us to get through the stress and 16 hour days. This tournament was no exception and these are only a few examples ...

Brandy Thorward - A new Beginner player who always asked, “If I enter this side event at this time, will it negatively effect the tournament?. Her awareness of causality was wonderfully refreshing and a Directors dream.

Eddie Sant’Ana - This gentleman from Brazil is a chess player just very recently turned backgammon player. The combination of a delightful personality and a good sense of player etiquette make him a pleasure to be around. I hope to see him at future tournaments.

Jason Lee – The scenario… Semi finals of the Blitz playoffs, Jason trails in a 5point match 0 – 3, in this game both he and his much less experienced opponent have nearly equally strong home boards, but his opponent has a man on the bar and Jason is the positional favorite. Jason rolls, moves his checkers (doesn’t pick up his dice, nor motion as if he was going to) and leans back in his seat to ponder his position and the blot on his four point he was unable to protect. The opponent rolls (a number that would dance). What happens… Jason calls for a ruling?! It’s not because Jason doesn’t understand the “Premature Roll” rule nor does his opponent question the validity of his roll. Jason calls me over to explain the rule to his inexperienced opponent, then Jason says “ I reject your roll – roll again, I’m giving you a break this time”. Jason’s choice to not take advantage of his opponent’s inexperience despite the” Rules” probably cost him the match, because a four was rolled on the reroll and Jason lost the match. Jason, your integrity and sportsmanship deserves a round of applause, Thanks for attending.

We hope to see you all next year!

Regards, Troy Longman and Lynn Ehrlich

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.