[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

That would move here?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 12 January 2011, at 4:15 p.m.

In Response To: That would move here? (Marcos Nahhas)

Marcos wrote:

Excellent Stick. You do seem easy.

Stick is easy?

Anyway, I think this problem is a good example of the need to look ahead at how the game is likely to develop. There's no hope of a blitz when the opponent has two anchors. There's no urgent need to gain a tempo. It's premature to make such deep points when we still have a back checker to scramble and an undeveloped prime. The only motivation I can see for knocking the opponent off the 2pt is that the 2-5 backgame is noticeably better than the 1-5 backgame. But shifting points gives the opponent the opportunity to possibly set up a 3-5 backgame or even a 1-3-5 backgame. The gain is too small when we can work on building a better blocking structure.

It might seem that it's hopeless to think about blocking when the opponent has a golden anchor. However, our opponent's timing isn't the best and there's a decent chance that he will be squeezed off the front anchor, in which case blocking the back checkers and getting ready to pounce on the 5pt when it opens up will be high priorities.

There's still some question about the best way to build blocking points. The natural candidates are 8/7(2) 9/7 and 11/9(2) leaving no blots, but 8/7(2) 11/9 is worth a look too because it's a more efficient use of material and we don't mind too much if the opponent breaks anchor to hit us. QF makes me think that 8/7(2) 11/9 is the bot play, but I don't think I would choose it over 8/7(2) 9/7 OTB.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.