[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Favorable Review of Lynn Ehlich's Great Tournament in NJ

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Wednesday, 12 January 2011, at 6:29 p.m.

In Response To: Favorable Review of Lynn Ehlich's Great Tournament in NJ (Gregg Cattanach)

Gregg wrote: Once a chouette IS a chouette, then in general, I believe NO ONE should be excluded from joining (if they are willing to play at the ongoing stakes) unless there are already 6 players. But that's just my opinion. Some players (some that read and post here) think a major skill element of chouette play is the politics involved in maneuvering to exclude players that are better than you. I always find this slimy.

Such maneuverings were often the target in Danny Kleinman's books. He observed that a bridge or chess player would be thrilled if the best player in the world offered to sit for a small stakes game. But the same was not true of many of the players Danny met at Cavendish West. In one article, he wrote something like this: if you aren't willing to welcome anyone in your chouette no matter how good they are, the stakes you are playing for are too high.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.