[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Poker or Backgammon

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Friday, 14 January 2011, at 1:32 p.m.

In Response To: Poker or Backgammon (Daniel Murphy)

Daniel, you also need a 3rd parameter:

3) Do the pro have knowledge of the beginners all-in-every-hand strategy.

You assume that the pro has this knowledge, correct?

For the first 3-10 hands, you wouldn't know if the beginner was deploying a all-in-every-hand or a mixed fold/all-in strategy.

Just like when Gus Hansen did the very same in the final round of the preliminary matches vs. Phil H, Freddy D, and the other pros.

---

Then I think your blind discussion is a bit skewed, you talk about 3 different scenarios, one without blinds, one with 500BB buy-in, and then a heavier blind struture. The latter giving the beginner a rough 40% winning chance (which is considerably more than he will have in backgammon, even in a DMP).

The first scenario is virtually unthinkable, but if they were to play without blinds, the beginner should be the one using the fold and wait for aces strategy, then go all in. That would secure him 50% or better, depending on the Pro's response to this strategy, I guess... It would probably end up in aces vs. aces all in preflop.

The 2nd scenario I think is probably too deep. At least, if you were to play with a 500 BB structure, the "price of poker" would probably go up pretty quickly, thus not giving the pro quite that many hands to wait for something close to the nuts.

Basically, the beginner would need to have an all-in or fold strategy, where you simply deselect more of the weaker hands, the deeper the structure of the session.

----

I'm almost sure that if the game of poker is NLHE, and you assume one session only, playing until one player is bust. And the backgammon is about the same ($x each, money-session until bust), then the backgammon pro would have the best proposition. But in terms of busting your opponent quickly, or playing with deep pockets, reloading when bust, etc. Or introducing some other form of poker (maybe some limit variation), the two would get equal, or maybe poker would even pass backgammon. The cube in Backgammon is not a no-limit thing, it's a pot-limit thing, so you are comparing apples and oranges IMHO.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.