[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why use Nactation?

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Sunday, 16 January 2011, at 4:49 p.m.

In Response To: How to nactate 52S-54-g 13/9 8/3* (Philip Cherrington)

When I first began reading about backgammon, the conventional notation seemed fairly intuitive. I see that in this forum several folk use Nactation instead.

I started to try to figure out Nactation but that got me thinking: Given the accepted and widespread use of conventional notation, why does the game need a new notation system?

I realize Nactation is more economical, however, it does not feel very intuitive (this of course may just be a case of an old dog learning a new trick). Also, as the original subject of this thread indicates, Nactation appers to engender some notational ambiguity. Since the old approach is good as it is, why use a new one?

By the way, I am sure that I speak for everyone in the forum when I express my gratitute to Nack for his ongoing contributions. I hope he accepts the spirit of this post, which in no way is intended to antagonize or criticize Nack for promulgating and advocating the use of Nactation.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.